- Saturday October 20th, 2018. Back in august there was quite a buzz about something that was found up at the rifle range, during the construction of the fence around the backstop by the South Downs rangers. The first many people knew of it was Nightingale Lane being closed off by the bomb disposal squad.
Thanks to Chloe and Bruno, part ... Read more
- Thursday June 14th, 2018. On the 24th May the carriages and pulley wheel were returned to site and with the aid of P.A.C. Welding Ltd, the frame was pieced back together. Paul and Kaz did a great job, despite the heavy rain.
Finally, frame 1 was complete and in working order thirty years after the range closed.
Steve had made some ... Read more
- Thursday June 14th, 2018. Since 2017 the Rifle Range Volunteers have been focusing our efforts in the markers’ gallery (the long roofed area where the metal target frames are situated). Out of the eight target frames on site, frame 1 seemed to be the best preserved and we decided to concentrate our efforts on restoring this one to working order.
Steve ... Read more
- Thursday June 14th, 2018. In November 2017, when the restoration of the Rifle Range began, we focused our efforts in the markers’ gallery (the long roofed area where the metal target frames are situated):
The first job was to tidy up the rubbish, resulting in six rubble sacks of glass, cans, food packaging and much more. Rubbish is a big ... Read more
- Friday May 19th, 2017. Despite some very inclement weather our ‘Songs of the Dawn’ dawn chorus walks have been remarkably successful this year. Nightingale has been in full voice, and Cetti’s Warbler was also heard. It is thought there are two of each species singing presently on the Rifle Range. On the 29th April, we were treated to the ... Read more
- Wednesday July 13th, 2016.
The Conservation Volunteers have been busy clearing the footpath from Mill Lane Allotments up to Steyning Coombe. We have also been carrying out maintenance on the fencing in Steyning Coombe to make sure that our heard of Dexter cattle don’t go exploring the Downs. Our next session is on Saturday 16th July when we will ... Read more
- Wednesday October 07th, 2015. This is just a quick, introductory blog to ‘say hello’ from the Conservation Volunteers. Our next meeting is next Saturday, 19th March which will be in the Secret Garden over at Pepperscoombe. We’ll meet on Newham Lane at 10am where the 30mph sign is so that everyone can help carry up tools. The job will ... Read more
- Wednesday September 16th, 2015. Hopefully we’re now reaching the tail end of another wet and windy winter, but its legacy has been a large number of precariously leaning trees in the Horseshoe Woods and elsewhere on the Steyning Downland Scheme. Some of the more precarious examples are leaning directly over footpaths!
We are working to clear these as soon as ... Read more